I work as a News Desk Editor for TIME’s digital side, though I often also assist with magazine work. I work with reporters, producers, the video team and the social team to assign, edit and publish the most important timely and breaking news for our worldwide audience. During most of my shifts, I lead the News Desk and am responsible for all editorial decisions made on digital coverage. Additionally, on most shifts, I am responsible for crafting newsletters, publishing Apple alerts and managing TIME’s social media. And, when needed, I jump in and write news.
I helped lead a team of 14 reporters to find the timeliest, most shareable news for our 46 million readers. I edited, assigned, scheduled and assisted in managing the largest vertical at Mashable. I also work with MashReads, and have co-hosted a weekly podcast with thousands of listeners for over 100 episodes. I ran the internship program, responsible for hiring, training, and managing over 30 young writers. Additionally, I co-produced and co-hosted a number of editorial and entertainment videos dealing with every topic from Game of Thrones to science.
- Getting clean online: The growing online communities giving hope amid an opioid crisis
- Meme la France: Global boundaries don't matter to alt-right memes or their makers
- A woman went 'missing' at E3 and when the internet tried to find her, all hell broke loose
- 'Black Mirror's 'Hang the DJ' really doesn't understand modern dating
- Someone had a seizure while playing multiplayer VR and no one knew what to do
- Without stakes, 'Game of thrones' just isn't really good anymore
- Stop acting like you don't know your Tinder date's last name
- Refugees made a striking flag for their Olympic team in Rio
- Your Election Day guide to recreational marijuana
- Trump could very well become 'Mr. Brexit'
- Where are all the Valyrian steel swords in 'Game of Thrones'?
I ran The Daily What, covering hyper-timely pop culture happenings and reporting on video game news. I averaged over 40 articles a week including breaking news, listicles, long form pieces and everything in between.
- iPhone 6S #Chipgate
- Mother finds a slave figurine in her son's pirate play set
- Edmonton pulls together to fulfill SpiderMaple's wish
- Liquid water on Mars, y'all
- Happy Birthday copyright lifted, freeing an exhausted nation from terrible restaurant imitations
- Martin Shkreli buys life-saving AIDS drug and lifts the price by 5000 percent
I freelance for the local news resource for Capitol Hill, Seattle. It covers one of the most vibrant and changing neighborhoods in the city, where I have written about enterprise, profiled notable residents, covered the rich art scene and explored the changing nature of a passionate area.
I ran the blog at a marketing firm specializing in attracting new marijuana businesses in the face of Washington's legalization. I covered the changing business landscape and aspects of the burgeoning economic force that brands could use in their advertising pursuits.
- Unmasking marijuana customers (ghostwritten)
- Signs of High Times: Rules for Marijuana Stores Signage
- Ad-Wise: Know the Rules for Marijuana Marketing & Advertising
- Forget Edibles, Drinkables are the New Hot Product
- Marijuana Advertising: Growing New Roots from a Muddy Past
- Marijuana Producers: Keep the Cannabis Carbon Footprint Low
I worked as the government and breaking news reporter, where I covered the swiftly growing city of Issaquah. With a population tripling over the past 15 years, I wrote about their growing pains and triumphs as a small city grew up.
- City accused of cybersquatting
- Legislators talk schools, transportation at town hall
- War over waterworks
- Local startup turns tech award into college access
- And my four-part, award-winning series: